The Argument for Consolidation
Ni America believes in the benefits of utility consolidation. According to the American Water Works Association,
"Consolidation is one of the ways that the water profession is addressing the financial and regulatory burdens due to the continuing effort to improve water quality throughout the country."
The consolidation of small neighboring utilities into a larger regional system offers a number of distinct advantages and is preferred and supported by many state regulators and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
• Substantially lower unit costs of materials, treatment, monitoring and reporting, through economies of scale
• More efficient operations and less waste
• Greater financial capacity to meet the capital needs of systems
• Environmental and technical expertise
• Customer service/billing advantages
• Tax advantages and lower capital costs